Are you our new Engineering Manager helping us meet our goals for the challenging future? You'll be responsible for governing the technical delivery of heating and cooling networks, inclusive of the full end to end systems.
Specifically, this principally involves overseeing – from an engineering requirements, specification, design and technical perspective – the delivery of the detailed design, procurement and construction phases. Engagement with earlier stages of design may also be required where applicable, such as in the context of phased projects and to share lessons learned.
Responsible for ensuring a robust design risk management procedure is followed and for accepting designs on behalf of Vattenfall to verify alignment with project specifications on adoption projects. Ultimately, the engineering manager is responsible for ensuring systems are specified, designed and delivered to operate safely and demonstrate optimal performance.
- Work closely with the project manager and the delivery and operations teams.
- Manage external consultants who are delivering designs for the project.
- Ensure all deliverables are received in line with the agreed scope of works and verify compliance with project technical specifications.
- Ensure engineering designs are delivered in alignment with system performance and business objectives.
- Produce technical specifications for external engineering and construction contractors to follow.
- Manage design reviews, coordinate with other functions and ultimately ensure all designs are accepted and signed off by Vattenfall.
- Identify and deliver design improvement opportunities to enhance system performance and profitability.
- Witness site installation, testing and commissioning procedures.
- Manage all engineering procedures required to facilitate project handover (from the contractor to Vattenfall).
- Manage client stakeholders including master and plot developers and their contractors.
- Responsible for managing safety in design through implementing a robust design risk management process.
- Responsible for implementation of quality assurance, control and change procedures for engineering designs throughout the delivery of the project.
Our successful candidate has a relevant University degree in chemical, mechanical, energy or process engineering, with relevant work experience in the field of Engineering, Procurement and Construction. To be successful you should have the following experience:
- Degree in a relevant engineering discipline.
- Detailed understanding of district heating and cooling systems and good practice design principles. General in-depth knowledge of mechanical systems.
- Experience in the design development and/or detailed design delivery of heat and/or cooling networks. Evidence of delivering design for safety and performance in district heating and/or cooling; process plant projects or the energy and utilities sector.
- Experience leading technical workstreams on projects including managing supply chain, providing project reports, and managing client relationships.
- Installation, operational and/or maintenance experience in the context of mechanical systems, especially district heating and cooling networks.
- Experience procuring and managing contractors and external designers.
- Evident experience being involved in commissioning and handover review of projects.
- Experience with heat pump technology.
- Safety conscious approach to work and understanding of design for safe installation, operation, maintenance and customer experience.
- Good knowledge of building regulations, applicable British standards, CDM regulations and good practice guidelines, including detailed understanding of CP1(2020).
- Good understanding of available supply chain in district heating industry
- Chartered with relevant professional institution – preferred.
- CIBSE CP1 heat network consultant – preferred.
The successful candidate will need to have the right to work in the UK.
Commitment to Diversity
Vattenfall is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community which offers great opportunities for people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We seek to attract and employ the best people from the widest talent pool because creating value through diversity is what makes us strong as a business, enabling us to solve important problems and deliver value to our clients.
We encourage an inclusive culture where people can be themselves, are valued for their strengths and are empowered to be the best they can be. As an organisation with an increasingly agile workforce, we also support different ways of working offering flexible working arrangements.
As a member of the UK Heat team all employees are expected to take individual and collective professional responsibility for championing Vattenfall’s Diversity and Inclusion agenda and to commit to continually developing personal understanding.
Good remuneration, a challenging and international work environment, and the possibility to work with some of the best in the field. You will be working in interdisciplinary teams and you can always count on support from committed colleagues. We offer attractive employment conditions and opportunities for personal and professional development.
We welcome your application in English, no later than, 04-09-2023. We kindly request that you do not send applications by any means other than via our website as we cannot guarantee that we will be able to process applications that are not made via our website.
For more information about the recruitment process you are welcome to contact our recruiter Adam Hammond - email@example.com
At Vattenfall we are convinced that diversity contributes to build a more profitable and attractive company and we strive to be good role model regarding diversity. Vattenfall works actively for all employees to have the same opportunities and rights regardless of gender, ethnicity, age, transgender identity or expression, religion or other belief, disability or sexual orientation.
We look forward to receiving your application! Apply here.