Do you want to be Vattenfall's new Project Development Engineer in the UK? Then join us and contribute to our mission towards a Fossil Free future.
The Project Development Engineer will be responsible for developing zero carbon district heating and cooling solutions for large scale developments including technology selection and sizing of energy centres, definition of primary networks (underground pipe work system) and secondary systems, from heat substations to HIUs. This includes end to end lifetime energy and system performance model. Project Development Engineer is responsible for the technical solution from early client engagement stage, through business model evaluation and post contract support and will be working closely with Commercial Team, Delivery Team and Operations Team.
- Be a sparring partner for the account director, commercial manager and project manager and the rest of the project team ensuring the project is delivered on time;
- Provide technical solutions that enable zero carbon heat and cooling
- Develop solutions that consider system lifetime performance and operation
- Execute design and technical solutions for grid extensions and connections after system is in place
- Ensure engineering solution and design is delivered in line with the business objectives and KPIs
- Manage internal and external stakeholders, client and client’s technical advisors, internal and external engineering support
- Ensure engineering solution is taken through the governance process
- Ensure engineering solution achieves carbon performance and financial performance targets
- Assuring high safety, regulatory compliance, technical integrity and quality, including required authority approvals
- Engage with the supply chain and specify best quality materials and equipment
- Drive Engineering Excellence
The successful candidate has a relevant University degree in chemical, mechanical, energy or process engineering, with work experience in the field of Engineering, Procurement and Construction. To be successful you should have the following experience:
- Engineering degree qualified and experience in Mechanical or Process Engineering
- Design management experience of district heating and cooling systems up to RIBA stage 3 including Energy Centres and underground pipework secondary
- Good knowledge of typical risks in heat networks and good knowledge of best practice engineering principles that enable high network performance standards
- Ability to define and feed into business cases and financial models for external proposals and internal governance processes.
- Safety conscious and understanding of design for safe installation, operation, maintenance and customer experience
- Evident design experience of communal or heat networks
- Good understanding of low and zero carbon solutions
- Good stakeholder management skills and commercial awareness
- Good understanding of available supply chain in district heating industry
- Software skills: Required: MS Office; Preferred: EnergyPRO, AutoCAD, Hysopt,
- Good knowledge of Building Regulations, applicable British Standards, best practice guidelines such as CP1 and other national standards, regulations and guidelines
Next to this you bring:
- Excellent team player that helps everyone to be succeed, taking initiative and ownership of all aspects of heat network project and product development.
- Experience in energy project development and delivery from commercial and technical point of view
- Risk management – excellent understanding of commercial and technical risks and how it impacts the business
- Good understanding of customer and customer types (local authorities, developers, commercial customers) and their drivers
- Good understanding of heat network industry, market and future direction including regulatory and legislative requirements
- Good knowledge of zero carbon heating and cooling solutions. Both project level technical and commercial aspects, as well as the wider energy system, building regulations, and carbon accounting aspects
To enjoy the work with us we believe you need to be:
- A high performing individual with a drive to successfully accomplish what is set to be done
- Good attention to detail and strong technical approach
- Strong commercial awareness
- Energetic and dynamic but yet a team player that helps everyone else to be better at what they do
- Really good stakeholder management skills
- Entrepreneurial and creative in approaching and solving problems – comfortable setting up new processes from scratch and not waiting to be told how.
- Clear and effective communicator in all forms
- Passionate about the energy industry and innovation to deliver low carbon energy
- Health, Safety and Environment aware
- Understanding of necessity for proper quality assurance and ensuring all project documentation is reviewed, filed and appropriately handed over to the following project stages responsible teams
Commitment to Diversity
Vattenfall is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community which offers great opportunities for people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We seek to attract and employ the best people from the widest talent pool because creating value through diversity is what makes us strong as a business, enabling us to solve important problems and deliver value to our clients.
We encourage an inclusive culture where people can be themselves, are valued for their strengths and are empowered to be the best they can be. As an organisation with an increasingly agile workforce, we also support different ways of working offering flexible working arrangements.
As a member of the UK Heat team all employees are expected to take individual and collective professional responsibility for championing Vattenfall’s Diversity and Inclusion agenda and to commit to continually developing personal understanding.
The successful candidate will need to have the right to work in the UK
Good remuneration, a challenging and international work environment, and the possibility to work with some of the best in the field. You will be working in interdisciplinary teams and you can always count on support from committed colleagues. We offer attractive employment conditions and opportunities for personal and professional development.
We welcome your application in English, no later than 04/09/2023. We kindly request that you do not send applications by any means other than via our website as we cannot guarantee that we will be able to process applications that are not made via our website.
For more information about the recruitment process you are welcome to contact our recruiter Adam Hammond via firstname.lastname@example.org.
At Vattenfall we are convinced that diversity contributes to build a more profitable and attractive company and we strive to be good role model regarding diversity. Vattenfall works actively for all employees to have the same opportunities and rights regardless of gender, ethnicity, age, transgender identity or expression, religion or other belief, disability or sexual orientation.