Vacancy available until July 10th, 2020.
29 June 2020
Vattenfall Heat UK is now looking for a Lead Engineering Manager to join our UK based Engineering and Technical team.
Vattenfall Heat UK is now looking for a Lead Engineering Manager to join our UK based Engineering and Technical team. Vattenfall UK Heat is rapidly growing and has been successful in securing large district heating and cooling network opportunities in London and Scotland, some serving more than 20,000 home equivalent from one network, with total installed capacity up to 90MW and opportunity to grow. This is an exciting opportunity to work on delivering new district heating and cooling systems that will play the key role of decarbonising Heat in the UK.
Vattenfall has a long experience in operating heat networks across Europe, where we serve 2.2 million heat customers. This role will be working closely with our colleagues to bring best practice to the UK.
The Lead Engineering Manager will lead a team of Engineering Managers and Design Engineers that drives engineering excellence on sustainable large scale district heating and cooling developments. You will be a natural leader, passionate to deliver excellence and exceptional quality with a really good understanding of good engineering design principles. To be successful in this role you will have experience in delivering design through different project stages. This role will report to Head of Engineering and work closely with peers Head of Delivery, Project Manager, Operations Manager and Asset Manager.
Lead the team of engineers and drive the delivery of engineering solution from early design to handover to operations.
• Lead Engineering Delivery team of Engineering Managers and Design Engineers while providing close support to engineering projects
• Set up best practice engineering and design processes and standards that ensure technical excellence
• Establish ways of working for the engineering delivery team
• Ensure team has best practice development opportunities and support
• Accountable for the quality of engineering solutions across all Vattenfall Heat UK Projects
• Manage relationship with external design suppliers and set up contracts with technical experts (internal and external) to provide full technical skill support on projects
• Provide and manage design resourcing forecast, budgets and design delivery strategy
• Be a sparring partner for Head of Delivery and other peers
• Develop and deliver zero-carbon design solutions for areas and developments
• Ensure engineering solution and design is delivered in line with the performance and business objectives
• Manage internal and external stakeholders to ensure the design is delivered to the required standards
• Assuring high safety, regulatory compliance, technical integrity and quality, including required authority approvals
• Job will require frequent travel between London and Edinburgh with occasional travel to outside the UK
Qualifications and Experience:
Our successful candidate should have the following qualifications:
• Engineering degree qualified and a minimum of 7 years’ experience, preferably more than 10 years’ experience
• Experience of managing a team of engineers
• Demonstrated good leadership skills – ability to manage a team through a set up process and ensuring quality is delivered across all projects
• Experience with design budget and resource planning and execution
• Design management experience of district heating and cooling systems integrating low carbon solutions from planning to asset handover stage
• Good understanding of HSE legislation and good practice principles. Experience in driving HSE and Quality Assurance processes in design.
• Good knowledge of Building Regulations, Applicable British Standards, Good practice guidelines and Other national standards, regulations and guidelines
• Experience working with good project governance processes
• Can demonstrate best practice in implementing quality and safety in the design process
• Chartered engineer
Profile and skills:
• Passionate about delivering zero-carbon solutions in energy
• Natural leader and good team management skills
• Inspire those around you to deliver high quality
• Passionate about delivering designs that achieve zero harm from HSE point of view and drive the safety culture at Vattenfall
• High performing individual, self-starter that has ability to work under pressure and lead a team through challenging projects (timescales and other complexity)
• Brave to challenge existing industry technical standards, drive engineering excellence and lead innovation
• Good lifecycle cost understanding and ability to make decisions based on quality
• A high performing individual able to drive efficiency on project teams with internal and external stakeholders
• Uncompromising on technical quality standard
• Excellent communications skills and ability to adjust the communication style to achieve the desired outcome, whether it is speaking to the client, management team or your team member
• Energetic and dynamic but yet a team player that helps everyone else to be better at what they do
• Entrepreneurial and creative in approaching and solving problems – comfortable setting up new processes from scratch and not waiting to be told how
• Not shy to have difficult conversations and challenge peers (internal or external stakeholders) in order to achieve the right goal
• Provide positive challenge and pleasant working environment for the team
A challenging and international work environment, and the possibility to work with some of
the best in the field. We offer flexibility, respect for work-life balance and the opportunity for working in a small, dedicated team with a truly international outlook.
We welcome your application in English, including CV and cover letter via the application button at this page. Please note that we don’t take applications sent in by email into consideration.
Last day to apply is July 10th.
For more information about this vacancy you can contact Tamara van Amersfoort: Tamara.email@example.com
Energy is our contribution to the quality of life – day after day. With around 20,000 colleagues Vattenfall provides comprehensive electricity and heating offerings to several million customers in northern Europe. For the work ahead we need people who are fully dedicated to our customers and to a sustainable society – people like you!
At Vattenfall, we believe, that the only way to make fossil-free living within a generation possible is to power and help manage all energy-aspects of our customers’ lives to create climate smarter living – building by building, district by district, city by city.
We look forward to your application!
"Innovation doesn’t happen in isolation so sharing ideas, sharing knowledge, helping each other, is one of the most exciting things about working for Vattenfall." - Head of Engineering, Sandra ŠlihteWatch our team video
Vattenfall is now looking for the right person to fill the position as Legal Counsel for Vattenfall Heat UK, part of Vattenfall’s Business Area (BA) Heat in Edinburgh.
We are searching for people to join our Engineering Department to work on development, execution and asset management of projects in London and Edinburgh.